Republican senator from Arizona
John McCain is running for president for the second time, after his first attempt eight years ago. He has served more than 20 years as a senator from Arizona. For more information on McCain's campaign, see below.
- BORN: Panama Canal Zone, Aug. 29, 1936
- RAISED: Family moved many times because his father was in the military, but his hometown is Alexandria, Va.
- HOME: Phoenix
- FAMILY: Married Carol Shepp, 1965, divorced in 1980. Their children: daughter Sidney and Shepp's sons Doug and Andy from previous marriage. Married Cindy Hensley, 1980. Their children: Megan, John Sidney IV and James. Adopted daughter Bridget from a Bangladesh orphanage.
- RELIGION: Episcopalian
- EDUCATION: U.S. Naval Academy, 1958; National War College, 1974
- MILITARY: Navy, 1958-1981; prisoner of war in Vietnam, 1967-1973.
- CAREER: naval aviator, 1958-1980, director of Navy Senate Liaison office, 1977-1981; U.S. senator 1987-present.
- PERSONAL: He made a guest appearance in 2006 on the TV show "24," which happens to be his favorite. He likes pizza topped with onions and pepperoni. His favorite movie is "Viva Zapata," but the one he cites the most often is "Weekend At Bernie's." His favorite author is Ernest Hemingway and his political hero is Theodore Roosevelt. His daughter Sidney works in the music industry in Ontario, Canada, and his son Doug is a pilot with American Airlines. His youngest child is 16-year-old Bridget.